How Can Cosmetic Dentistry Help You Improve Your Smile?
Do you have a Hollywood idol whose smile you wish you have? Many celebrities in Hollywood have invested a lot of time and resources in achieving the kinds of smiles they have. The good news is that you can access the same resources in cosmetic dentistry to achieve your dream smile.
What Is Cosmetic Dentistry?
It is a type of dental care that caters to the aesthetics of your smile. Cosmetic dentistry focuses on various treatment protocols that can improve teeth’ appearance in different aspects. Therefore, during your dental exam, your cosmetic dentist will evaluate your mouth for various dental flaws that tamper with your smile’s aesthetics. Cosmetic dentistry can address many dental flaws, including the following:
- Chipped, cracked, and broken teeth
- Unusually shaped teeth
- Stained, dull, or yellowed teeth
- Spaces between teeth
- Crooked teeth
- Lost teeth
How Can Cosmetic Dentistry Improve Your Smile?
A cosmetic dentist near you can drastically change the appearance of your smile by impacting your teeth’ color, size, shape, and spacing. Some of the ways that cosmetic dentistry improves smiles are:
- Teeth contouring – entails dental procedures that can reshape teeth. Teeth contouring is possible through dental veneers and composite bonding procedures.
- Tooth replacement – when you have one or more missing teeth, you need a dentist in Emerson to replace them using dentures, dental bridges, or implants. Dental implants are most suitable for patients that want a permanent solution to tooth loss.
- Teeth alignment – entails straightening teeth and evenly spacing them in the jawbone. In cosmetic dentistry in New Jersey, a dentist can realign your teeth using dental veneers and composite bonding. However, these restorations can only correct mild malocclusions. If you want a change for significant misalignment, you are better off with invisible braces.
- Teeth whitening – are procedures that can remove stains and discolorations from teeth’ surfaces. The most common approach for whitening teeth entails enamel bleaching. However, a cosmetic dentist in Emerson Family Dental can also use dental veneers and composite bonding to improve your teeth’ color.
- Teeth repairing or restoration – entails procedures that can restore damaged teeth, particularly due to dental decay. Cosmetic dentists often employ composite fillings or inlays and onlays to repair such teeth.
How to Choose the Best Dental Restoration in Cosmetic Dentistry
When working to change the color, size, shape, and alignment of your teeth, you must account for the various dental restorations that can achieve those changes. Cosmetic dentists use various dental restorations, including:
- Dental veneers
- Composite bonding
- Dental bridges
- Dental implants
- Onlays and inlays
- Dental crowns
All these dental restorations feature either porcelain or composite material. Both porcelain and composite are tooth-colored, meaning they can be matched to natural teeth’ colors. Therefore, that cannot be the only factor you consider when choosing the best material for your treatment. Instead, consider also the following factors:
- The durability of the restoration – some dental restorations last longer than others. For example, dental veneers last about 10-20 years, while composite bonding lasts between 5 and 10 years.
- Invasiveness of the procedure – conservative patients often have different preferences from others. If you do not want to undergo an invasive procedure, ensure you mention it to your cosmetic dentist early enough. For example, when getting dental crowns, the dentist must trim a sizeable portion of your natural tooth structure to make room for the crown. With composite bonding, no such preparation is necessary.
- Type of dental flaw you have – sometimes, the nature of dental damage will dictate the type of cosmetic appliance the dentist uses for your treatment.
Should You Improve Your Smile with Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures?
Ultimately, the decision of partaking in any treatment protocol lies with you. If you want a beautiful smile, you may need to stretch out of your comfort zone to get it. Some of the reasons why many people consider cosmetic dentistry are:
- Versatility – there are different dental restorations to transform your smile, so you cannot miss one that works for you.
- Confidence boost – a beautiful smile will significantly up your confidence levels.
- Quick transformations – depending on your choice of cosmetic procedure, you can change your smile in less than an hour.